The presence of tannins in drinking water can give water a “tangy or tart aftertaste. Some people have also attributed a musty or earthy odor in their water to tannins.” Also, “They normally have a faint yellow to tea-like color, and can cause yellow staining on fabrics, fixtures, china and laundry.” ( source )
For the reasons mentioned above, and possibly a wide range of others, most people would prefer their drinking water not contain tannins. If you find yourself in that category of people, then the whole house water filter for tannin removal ought to pique your interest.
In the first stage water travels through a 20″ sediment cartridge designed to remove sediment, silt, sand and dirt… an action which helps to extend the life of water softeners/filters and helps to prevent damage to control valves and pumps.
In the second stage, water travels through a 1.5 (or 2.0) cubic foot Tannin reducing mineral tank controlled by an Automatic Microprocessor Control valve which regulates the amount of time water spends in the tannin reducing tank. The longer time the water spends in contact with the special ion exchange media, the more effectively the media works to remove naturally occurring organics and organo-metallic complexes
In the third and final stage of filtration water travels through a 20″ solid carbon cartridge designed to remove volatile organic carbon compounds (VOC’s), insecticides, pesticides and industrial solvents.
- Maximum Removal Capacities: 5ppm Tannins and 40 grains hardness
- Maximum Iron and Manganese Levels: Combined Manganese and Iron levels must be below 0.2ppm (test for total iron, test for manganese)
- Filter Life: 1.5 cu.ft – 5-7 years, 2 cu.ft – 7-8 years
- Conforms to paragraph 21CFR173.25 of the Food Additives Regulations of the F.D.A.
- Solid 316-Stainless Steel Tank
- Stainless Steel Bypass Valve
- 10 Year Warranty on Resin Tank and Brine Tank Assembly
- 5 Year Warranty on All Computer Monitored Control Valves
For more information on this tannin removal system, click here.