After posting the short article on cholera the other day we knew that someone would definitely ask us if we knew of a water filter or water filter technology that could effectively remove cholera from drinking water.
The simplest way to make sure drinking water contains no cholera, bacteria, etc. involves adding the proper/correct amounts of disinfectants such as chlorine or iodine to the water supply. Naturally we suggest contacting the manufacturer of individual disinfectants to get dosage amounts and instructions for use before adding anything to your water!
Then, of course, we suggest testing for chlorine residuals or iodine residuals in the water afterward to make sure you have added the right amount.
Adding disinfectants not an option… Now what?
In many parts of the world people cannot run out to the store and purchase chemicals like iodine and chlorine. Likewise, after a natural disaster strikes regions of the United States, stores in the affected areas will either have run out of those chemicals or have closed because of the natural disasters.
At times like those a Doulton Gravity Feed Filter utilizing Stearasyl Technology really comes in handy. Doulton gravity fed ceramic filter systems require no power and can provide safe, clean drinking water without the need for chlorine or iodine.
Doulton uses polished stainless steel for the housing of its W9361122 SS Gravity Filter System, making it easy to keep clean, and the size of the unit makes relatively easy to move around and set up. is made from polished stainless steel.
To use the unit simply pour water into the top tank and allow the water to pass through (2) two Super Sterasyl 7 Inch Filter Candles. Clean, filtered water gets stored in the bottom tank, ready for use. Dimensions: Top tank holds a little over 2 gallons of untreated water and the bottom tank can hold roughly the same volume of filtered water.
What gets removed from the water? So glad you asked! The manufacturer makes the following claims about its Sterasyl-based water filter product:
- 99.99% Cysts (i.e. Cryptosporidium, Giardia, etc.)
- 99.99% Particulates (i.e. Rust & Sediment Creating Turbidity)
- 99.99% Bacteria (i.e. E. Cholera, E. Coli, Typhoid, Shigella, Klebsiella Terrigena, etc.)
What about NSF Certification?
We predict that one of you will send us an email asking about NSF Standards and the aforementioned Sterasly Technology, so… Yes. Doulton DOES make a Sterasyl-based water filter system that certifies to NSF Standards. In fact, the following Doulton water filter technologies utilizing Sterasyl have certified to NSF Standards:
- HIP/Sterasyl — Cyst Reduction, Turbidity Reduction, Nominal Particulate Reduction (Class I)
- HIP/Sterasyl Inline — Cyst Reduction, Turbidity Reduction, Nominal Particulate Reduction (Class I)
- HIP/Carbosyl — Chlorine Reduction (Aesthetic), Nominal Particulate Reduction (Class I), Taste and Odor Reduction, Cyst Reduction, Turbidity Reduction
- HIP/Supercarb — Chlorine Reduction (Aesthetic), Nominal Particulate Reduction (Class I), Taste and Odor Reduction, Cyst Reduction, Turbidity Reduction
- HIP/Supercarb Inline — Chlorine Reduction (Aesthetic), Nominal Particulate Reduction (Class I), Taste and Odor Reduction, Cyst Reduction, Turbidity Reduction
- HIP/Ultracarb — Chlorine Reduction (Aesthetic), Nominal Particulate Reduction (Class I), Taste and Odor Reduction, Cyst Reduction, Turbidity Reduction, Lead Reduction
- HIP/Ultracarb Inline — Chlorine Reduction (Aesthetic), Nominal Particulate Reduction (Class I), Taste and Odor Reduction, Cyst Reduction, Turbidity Reduction, Lead Reduction
And in conclusion…
If you have a need or desire to own a gravity fed water purification filter system that pretty much anyone can operate, and you want it to use tried and true technology backed up by research and a whole lot of testing, the Doulton SS2 Filter System (W9361122) definitely deserves further investigation.
Replacement filters for Doulton Water Filters
In an effort to head off an obvious question that we know we will eventually get, below you will find links to several of Doulton’s NSF Certified replacement filters. Please note that none of the filters below will fit the SS2 Gravity System (mentioned above) because it uses a 7″ Sterasyl Filter Candle instead of a 10″ Filter Candle.