In response to all of the accidents and incidents involving oil spills many people have started asking about ways to filter oil and other hydrocarbons out of their drinking water supply.
Does anyone make a big blue oil filter?
As a matter of fact, a company by the name of Pentek manufactures a product called the Pentek OAC-20BB Oil Absorbing Filter which fits conveniently in a standard 20 inch Big Blue housing.
The Pentek OAC-20BB Oil Absorbing Filter uses a modified cellulose-based filter that attracts and chemically bonds with specific hydrocarbons and pollutants such as dissolved oils in water. This filter cartridge also has the part number 155596-03 associated with it.
This product provides instant absorption of up to 90% of total hydrocarbons in a single pass, can operate at high flow rates, result in low pressure drop, and can hold 250% to 300% of its own weight in hydrocarbons.
Where might the Pentek OAC-20BB Oil Absorbing Filter come in handy?
This filter would benefit anyone wishing to remove oils and hydrocarbons from water. Examples of locations where one might expect to find hydrocarbons in water include:
- Around gas and oil facilities
- Bilge water entering/exiting ships
- Surface/Rain water runoff from truck stops, airports, parking lots, major roadways, etc.
- Near automobile/truck service & repair shops
- In areas near machine shops
- Regions surrounding facilities housing industrial processes
- Runoff from car and truck wash bays
Specifications of the Pentek OAC-20BB Filter
- Overall Dimensions of 20″ x 4.5″
- Inner Core Diameter of 1.110″
- Rated for a Max Temp of 125 F
- Rated for a Flow Rate of 5 to 10 GPM
- Pressure Drop Range of 0.2 to 1.0 psi